Happy Earth Day! One of the many elements destroying our planet is plastic. One of the newest pollutants introduced into our ecosystems has had the largest impact on our waterways, on marine plants, in sources of drinking water and on wildlife. Almost weekly we hear of another whale who died with extreme amounts of plastic in their body. Plastics will never decompose and our challenge to incorporate them into our world has failed. Some things you should know about plastic in our oceans:
1. About 8.3 billion tons of plastic have been produced in the last 60 years and only 9% has been recycled.
2. Up to 12.7 million tons of plastic enters the oceans yearly.
3. Many countries export plastics to other countries in Asia and Africa
4. Low-income people living along rivers and coastlines face more health impacts from great exposure to plastic toxins.
5. We are the leading cause of this problem because we buy what’s being sold.
6. We are all impacted on this planet, we are the cause and we can be the solution. Just because single-use plastic is sold doesn’t mean we have to buy it!
Photo by artist, Anne Percoco
Share on Facebook
#earthday #earthday2019 #planet #water #plastic #waste #change #responsible #reduce