We are seeking a mid to senior level Landscape Designer/Landscape Architect with strong project management and construction document (CD) experience to join our diverse team of professionals in our Downtown Brooklyn office. Architectural training and experience or licensure is a plus. W is a woman-owned business that creates meaningful places where city and nature come together to form new relationships. We emphasize connecting communities to one another, people to place, and places to natural systems. We have a particular expertise working with urban waterfront sites, transforming neglected, marginal areas into vital places for people to gather and experience a diversity of life.
Barbara Wilks, FAIA, FASLA, founded W Architecture and Landscape Architecture in 1999 to create a design-oriented, multidisciplinary practice focused on urban issues. As a leader in design and interdisciplinary thinking, with over 40 years of experience in urban design, public, and institutional projects, she practices as both an architect and landscape architect. W leadership recently expanded with the addition of Amy Mitchell, PLA as managing partner. She is an award-winning, visionary landscape architect with more than 20 years of experience designing public spaces, with a specific emphasis in the creation of specialized children’s environments and inclusive places for all.
MIG, Inc. recently co-located with W in Downtown Brooklyn. The two firms are building on their shared values and interdisciplinary approaches to extend their collective work from coast to coast. With complementary expertise and skillsets, W + MIG offers architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, planning, communications, graphic design, and community engagement with an emphasis on linking and enhancing people and place. Together, they are continuing to push the boundaries of innovative, community-based solutions that integrate the social, environmental, and economic future of the places in which we live, work and play.
Collaborative Teammate: You will work as part of a tight-knit, but diverse team that emphasizes community and environmental design for waterfronts, parks and plazas, and other places for children, youth and families throughout New York City and across the US working with public and private-sector clients.
Project Management: As a project manager, you will be leading the day-to-day of projects, as well as creating bold, innovative, and equitable landscape, architecture and urban design solutions. You will also help build and maintain strong and responsive client relationships by contributing to leads, proposals, and project interviews.
Project Types: Typical projects you’ll work on include waterfronts, site and landscape design for redevelopment projects, park, plaza and trail planning and design; streetscape design; campus master plans; children’s play environments; and community engagement (including online meetings and tools).
Project Work: In collaboration with the W staff and MIG, you will work with a team of landscape architects, planners, and project managers on a variety of planning, architecture, and landscape architecture projects. Your role on projects will typically include:
- Leading and supporting principals with tasks such as site analysis, site design, problem solving, construction detailing, planting plans, selection and design of site amenities and paving systems, aesthetic detailing, and project research.
- Providing project management, project support, or both depending on the project and project team. This will include working closely with a team of designers and planners to produce project deliverables, develop forward-thinking designs, strategies, and materials to facilitate project and public meetings.
- Depending on your experience, you may provide overarching project direction to staff and oversight of work products; lead internal and external subconsultant and client teams; and develop and manage projects including scopes of work, budgets, and schedules. You will maintain client relationships; identify the correct course of action to the client; represent clients at public hearings and meetings; and set the standards for excellence, responsiveness, and accountability.
- Producing conceptual exhibits, illustrative graphics, and full construction document sets. Other responsibilities will likely include conducting project research and project reports; preparing design presentations; providing support in developing cost estimates; responding to construction submittals and questions; providing sub-consultant and client coordination; and attending client meetings.
This is a full-time, salaried position. W works on projects nationwide; some travel, evening, and weekend work will be required for community engagement, site evaluations, or to meet deadlines. W encourages a work-life balance and excess hours should be offset during the week or pay period when possible.
To accomplish the responsibilities, you will be able to manage competing priorities, think critically and creatively, work as part of a collaborative team in an open environment, and maintain a sense of humor and camaraderie. In addition, you have some combination of the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited university (a Master’s degree and/or architectural training are a plus.)
- Relevant consulting experience working in or with other landscape designers or a closely related field with strong construction document and construction management experience.
- You are local or willing to relocate to work in the Brooklyn, NY office with a hybrid schedule.
- You can produce high-quality work products, including but not limited to complete construction document drawing sets and illustrative site plan and site detail graphics.
- Ability to participate collaboratively in small and large group discussions.
- Excellent skills in graphics and document presentation and written and verbal communication. Plant identification and hand-drawn graphic skills are a plus.
- You are an adaptable teammate who is willing to pitch in and help others.
- Software proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, AutoCAD, SketchUp and Adobe Creative Suite. Experience in ArcGIS, Lumion, Revit, and/or Rhino is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience managing public-sector projects, including maintaining compliance with project contracts, maintaining schedules, as well as working with clients and partners to execute project work.
- You can actively participate in marketing and business development opportunities, develop proposals for prospective projects, participate in interviews, and develop and maintain potential client and partner relationships.
- You are a people person, who shares our commitment to equity and inclusion, and who has an ability to develop collaborative, productive, and respectful relationships with community members, organizations, and partners.
- The ability to prepare and deliver effective public presentations, lead working meetings, and speak easily and clearly in front of groups and can facilitate client and stakeholder meetings.
If this position sounds like a fit for your skillsets and you are passionate about imbuing nature into our built environments and creating and improving communities, we would love to hear from you! Please email your resume, portfolio, and a cover letter (preferably as PDFs) to Amy and Barbara at [email protected] and [email protected].
W values diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer; we encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We offer a comprehensive benefits program including Sick Leave, Vacation Days, paid holidays, insurance, and a 401K program. Our team enjoys a flexible work schedule, a rewarding work environment, and a creative atmosphere. Compensation is commensurate with skills and experience.
Share on Facebook